…they both turned and fled together; but even as they ran Frodo looked back and saw with terror that at once the eyes came leaping up behind. The stench of death was like a cloud about him.
‘Stand! Stand!’ he cried desperately. ‘Running is no use.’
Slowly the eyes crept nearer.
‘Galadriel!’ he called, and gathering his courage he lifted up the Phial once more. The eyes. halted. For a moment their regard relaxed, as though some hint of doubt troubled them. Then Frodo’s heart flamed within him, and without thinking what he did, whether it was folly or despair or courage, he took the Phial in his left hand, and with his right hand drew his sword. Sting flashed out, and the sharp elven-blade sparkled in the silver light, but at its edges a blue fire flicked. Then holding the star aloft and the bright sword advanced, Frodo, hobbit of the Shire, walked steadily down to meet the eyes.
They wavered. Doubt came into them as the light approached. One by one they dimmed, and slowly they drew back. No brightness so deadly had ever afflicted them before. From sun and moon and star they had been safe underground, but now a star had descended into the very earth. Still it approached, and the eyes began to quail. One by one they all went dark; they turned away, and a great bulk, beyond the light’s reach, heaved its huge shadow in between. They were gone.
‘Master, master!’ cried Sam. He was close behind, his own sword drawn and ready. ‘Stars and glory! But the Elves would make a song of that, if they ever heard of it! And may I live to tell them and hear them sing.’
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers; “Shelob’s Lair”
11 Notes/ Hide
- thorins-tower reblogged this from theycannotconquerforever
- roarerroars likes this
- adamantiummithrilalloy likes this
- ofvaticancameos reblogged this from fyeahfrodobaggins
- vanimore likes this
- theycannotconquerforever reblogged this from treble-soft-whistle
- fandom-frenzy reblogged this from fyeahfrodobaggins
- nairamofsherwood likes this
- fusae12500 reblogged this from fyeahfrodobaggins
- fusae12500 likes this
- fyeahfrodobaggins reblogged this from treble-soft-whistle
- treble-soft-whistle posted this